Ever since DeviantArt has been established, plenty of talented artists have come to the site to display their talent and interact with fellow artists and friends. However, there are users who do not have a creative bone in their body and who end up stealing/recoloring other people's art. This is very disrespectful to the artists that have created the stolen art for multiple reasons. These artists probably have worked for days, weeks, and months to make the perfect project, and all their hard work goes down the drain when someone else takes credit for it.
However, there are solutions and ways to handle this issue.
How to avoid art theft:
1. Make sure your drawings are watermarked that they belong to you. Even if someone reuploads your image, their followers should be able to clearly see your signature on it. Small or unclear signatures don't really help you out in a crisis. If the signature is cropped out of the picture, they can post and no one might know its yours and not theirs.
2. Do not associate with known art thieves or people known to copy off of other people. They might end up choosing you as their next target.
3. Make sure that your content is actually original. If you've copied off someone else a bit, then this gives the thief an excuse that makes them look justified.
4. Make sure its clearly stated on your post and/or profile somewhere that no one is allowed to use your work without permission.
5. Add the creative commons copyright license to all your drawings before submitting. What to do if you encounter an art thief:
1. First, keep a cool head and don't do anything rash.
2. Second, ask politely that they take it down and in a calm manner.
3. State that it offends you and you did not give permission for your content to be used.
4. State that it is wrong to use someone else's content. 5. Offer to give them advice on how to create their own so that they have no need to use yours.
6. If they are unresponsive or block you, ask your friends for help.
7. Also, feel free to file a report and link back to your drawing so that they know its yours.
8. Wait patiently for DeviantArt to take care of it. #artthiefawareness #artthiefawareness #artthiefawareness #artthiefawareness #artthiefawareness #artthiefawareness #artthiefawareness #artthiefawareness #artthiefawareness
So this has happened to a lot of my friends and I want to make a difference. Please make your own post, trend the hashtag and add it to your regular posts! Art theft needs to stop! Thank you!